Sunday, February 1, 2015

Go Red! February is American Heart Month

We like to distance ourselves from things that make us uncomfortable. Perhaps that's why we still have a huge misunderstanding in our society that heart disease just affects older males like they show in the movies or on television. I'm here to tell you that heart disease affects everyone - yes, even you! We are way past the point where heart disease occurs in isolated age groups of our society. Cholesterol and clogged arteries begins in childhood now. Research shows us that even toddlers may be developing clogged arteries due to inactivity and poor diet. So listen up!

 1 in 3 men and women will die of heart disease and stroke - 80% of this is preventable.

So this month, take time to make a promise to yourself. Find out your risks for heart disease and what you can do to prevent yourself from becoming a statistic.
Ask yourself these question to assess your risks:
  1.  How active/inactive am I?
  2.  What's my blood pressure? Cholesterol?
  3.  What is my risk for diabetes?
  4.  How healthy do I really eat?
    • How many servings of fruit do I eat in a day?
    • How many servings of vegetables?
  5.  What's my family history of heart disease?
  6.  How does smoking effect my risk for heart disease? How does my drinking effect my heart?
  7.  Am I overweight or is my waist circumference excessive?
 Listen, I care about you. So that's why this post may sounds straightforward or even harsh. I want you to live a long, happy life. So, these are questions you need to know the answers to so that you don't become the next victim of heart disease. Over 715, 000 heart attacks occur in the nation each year and 15% of people that have a heart attack will die from it. I want to make that number drop as much as possible. I don't want YOU to be included in that number - ever!

Need more info? The American Heart Association website is a good source to evaluate your risks and find out prevention tips. Go Red for Women is a great website geared toward ladies (and the red dress you may see out in store windows this month is associated with them.) Or keep tuned to me here or on Facebook for heart healthy lifestyle tips!

Stay healthy my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment